Articles, Books, Reports, Studies
For an extensive listing of articles, books and other documents that discuss institutional repositories, including issues of sustainability, see Digital Scholarship's Institutional Repository Bibliography, compiled by Charles W. Bailey, Jr.: http://digital-scholarship.org/irb/irb.html
Anderson, Paul. "Crossing the Chasm: open source software comes of age." OSS Watch. 5 October 2009. Joint Information Systems Committee. 13 October 2009 http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/sustainability06.xml.
Barwick, Linda. "Turning it all Upside Down . . . Imagining a Distributed Digital Audiovisual Archive." Literary and Linguistic Computing 19.3 (2004): 253-63. 15 October 2009 http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/19/3/253.
Borgman, Christine L. Scholarship in the Digital Age: Information, Infrastructure, and the Internet. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press, 2007.
Bowen, William G. "New Times Always; Old Time We Cannot Keep." Annual Meeting of the Association of Research Libraries. 26 October 2005. The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. 19 October 2009 http://www.mellon.org/news_publications/announcements-1/ARLAddress10-26-05.pdf/
Bradley, Kevin. "Defining Digital Sustainability." Library Trends 56.1 (Summer 2007): 148-163. Illinois Digital Environment for Access to Learning and Scholarship. 2005-2009. University of Illinois. 14 October 2009. http://www.ideals.uiuc.edu/handle/2142/3772.
Brown, Laura, Rebecca Griffiths, and Matthew Rascoff. "Ithaka Report: University Publishing in a Digital Age." 2007. http://www.ithaka.org/strategic-services/university-publishing.
Building and sustaining digital collections: models for libraries and museums. CLIR: 2001. 20 October 2009 http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub100abst.html
Cullyer, Helen and Donald J. Waters. "Priorities for the Scholarly Communications Program." Annual Report. The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. 2008. 19 October 2009 http://www.mellon.org/news_publications/annual-reports-essays/presidents-essays/priorities-for-the-scholarly-communications-program
Davidson, Cathy, and David Theo Goldberg. "The Future of Learning Institutions in a Digital Age." Institute for the Future of the Book. Jan 2007. http://www.futureofthebook.org/HASTAC/learningreport/.
Davidson, Cathy, and David Theo Goldberg, The Future of Learning Institutions Cambridge: MIT Press, 2009.
Fitzpatrick, Kathleen. Planned Obsolescence: Publishing, Technology and the Future of the Academy. New York: NYU Press, forthcoming. MediaCommons Press. 13 October 2009 http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/mcpress/plannedobsolescence/.
Gardler, Ross. "Sustainable open source." OSS Watch. September 2009. Joint Information Systems Committee. 14 October 2009. http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/sustainableopensource.xml#body.1_div.1.
Houghton, et al. Economic Implications of Alternative Scholarly Publishing Models: Exploring the costs and benefits. 27 January 2009. Joint Information Services Committee. 19 October 2009 http://www.jisc.ac.uk/publications/documents/economicpublishing modelsfinalreport.aspx
Jessop, Martyn. "Digital Visualization as a Scholarly Activity." Literary and Linguistic Computing 23.3 (2008): 281-93. 15 October 2009 http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/23/3/281. [Requires individual or institutional subscription.]
Kirschenbaum, Matthew G., Ed. Done. Spec. cluster of Digital Humanities Quarterly 3.2 (2009). The Alliance of Digital Humanities Organizations. 1 October 2009. Literary and Linguistic Computing. 13 October 2009 http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/index.html.
Kolowich, Steve. "Libraries of the Future." 24 September 2009 Inside Higher Ed. 13 October 2009. http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/09/24/libraries.
Lynch, Clifford. "The Battle to Define the Future of the Book in a Digital World." First Monday 6.6 (2001). http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/viewArticle/864/773
Maron, Nancy L., K. Kirby Smith and Matthew Loy. Sustaining Digital Resources: An On-the-Ground View of Projects Today. July 2009. ITHAKA Case Studies in Sustainability. 13 October 2009 http://www.ithaka.org/ithaka-s-r/strategy/ithaka-case-studies-in-sustainability.
McCarty, Willard. "What's Going on?" Literary and Linguistic Computing 23.3 (2008): 253-61. 15 October 2009 http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/23/3/253 [Requires individual or institutional subscription.]
Rehm, Georg, et al. "Sustainability of Annotated Resources in Linguistics: A Web-Platform for Exploring, Querying, and Distributing Linguistic Corpora and Other Resources." Literary and Linguistic Computing 24.2 (2009): 193-210. 15 October 2009 http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/24/2/193 [Requires individual or institutional subscription.]
"Sustainability of Digital Collections." 10 November 2008 JISC Digital Media. 13 October 2009 http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/crossmedia/advice/sustainability-of-digital-collections/.
Walker, Julie H. "DSpace: a case study in sustainability." OSS Watch. July 2009. Joint Information Systems Committee. 19 October 2009 http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/cs-dspace.xml
Warwick, Claire, et al. "The Master Builders: LAIRAH Research on Good Practice in the Construction of Digital Humanities Projects." Literary and Linguistic Computing 23.3 (2008): 383-96. 15 October 2009 http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/23/3/383 [Requires individual or institutional subscription.]
Waters, Donald J. and Joseph S. Meisel. "Scholarly Publishing Initiatives." Annual Report. The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. 2007. 19 October 2009 http://www.mellon.org/news_publications/annual-reports-essays/presidents-essays/scholarly-publishing-initiatives/
Working Together or Apart: Promoting the Next Generation of Digital Scholarship. Report of a Workshop Co-sponsored by the Council on Library and Information Resources and the National Endowment for the Humanities. CLIR: March 2009. 20 October 2009 http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub145abst.html
Zorich, Diane. A Survey of Digital Culture Heritage Initiatives and Their Sustainability Concerns. Council on Library and Information Resources, 2003.
- Alliance of Digital Humanities Organizations: http://digitalhumanities.org/
- Canterbury Tales Project: http://www.canterburytalesproject.org/
- Center for Computing in the Humanities, Kings College London: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/depts/cch/
- Center for History and New Media, George Mason University: http://chnm.gmu.edu/
- Chaco Digital Initiative: http://www.chacoarchive.org/
- Computers in the Humanities Working Papers: http://www2.arts.ubc.ca/chwp/
- Council on Library and Information Resources Reports: http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/reports.html
- Digital Humanities Quarterly: http://digitalhumanities.org/dhq/
- Digital Information Archiving System (DIAS), IBM: http://www-05.ibm.com/nl/dias/
- Digital Preservation, Library of Congress: http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/
- Digital Preservation Coalition: http://www.dpconline.org/graphics/index.html
- Digital Repository Infrastructure for European Research (DRIVER): http://www.driver-community.eu/
- Digital Scholarship: http://digital-scholarship.org/
- Discovery Project: Philosophy in the Digital Era? http://www.discovery-project.eu/index.html
- e-Depot System, National Library of the Netherlands: http://www.kb.nl/dnp/e-depot/operational/background/index-en.html
- Gibagadinamaagoom Project: http://gibagadinamaagoom.info/
- Google Research: http://research.google.com/index.html
- HighWire Press, Stanford University: http://highwire.stanford.edu
- Humanist Discussion Group: http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/
- Humanities Advanced Technology and Information Institute (HATII), U. of Glasgow: http://www.gla.ac.uk/hatii/
- Implementing New Knowledge Environments (INKE): http://www.inke.ca/
- Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities (IATH), UVA: http://www.iath.virginia.edu/
- Institute for Textual Scholarship and Electronic Editing (ITSEE), U. of Birmingham: http://www.itsee.bham.ac.uk/
- ITHAKA Case Studies in Sustainability: http://www.ithaka.org/ithaka-s-r/strategy/ithaka-case-studies-in-sustainability
- Joint Information Systems Committee: http://www.jisc.ac.uk/
- JISC Involve: http://jiscinvolve.org/
- Kuali Foundation: http://www.kuali.org/
- Literary and Linguistic Computing: http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/
- Long Room Hub, Trinity College Dublin: http://www.tcd.ie/longroomhub/
- Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities: http://mith.umd.edu/
- National Library of Australia, Preserving Access to Digital Information: http://www.nla.gov.au/padi/
- National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage, NYU: http://www.ninch.org/
- Networked Infrastructure for Nineteenth-Century Electronic Scholarship (NINES): http://www.nines.org/
- Nietzsche Source: http://www.nietzschesource.org/
- Online Chopin Variorum Edition: http://www.ocve.org.uk/
- Open Scholarly Communities on the Web (COST Action A32): http://www.cost-a32.eu/
- OSS-Watch: http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/
- Perseus Digital Library, Tufts University: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/
- Preserving and Accessing Networked Documentary Resources of Australia (PANDORA): http://pandora.nla.gov.au/
- Preservation and Long-term Access through Networked Services (PLANETS): http://www.planets-project.eu/
- Sakai Project: http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Scholars' Lab: http://www2.lib.virginia.edu/scholarslab/
- Technologies for the Scholarly Communications Lifecycle, Microsoft: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/collaboration/focus/education/scholarlycomm.aspx
- Text-Analysis Portal for Research (TAPoR): http://huco.ualberta.ca/Tapor/
- Text Encoding Initiative (TEI): http://www.tei-c.org/index.xml
- UK Web Archive: http://www.webarchive.org.uk/ukwa/
- 1641 Depositions Project, Trinity College Dublin: http://www.tcd.ie/history/1641